Nelson's Happy place

Friday, March 5, 2010

1995 Poem Book introduction





Todays poem is from my 1995 book, A Different Side Of Me. While I have a poem with that same title, I have chosen another one to share with you at this time. This book has 7o poems in it. They are mostly about love, you know, that sappy junk, and I feel like they are wasted work now, written while I wasn't even with anyone. They were written about an image, an idea, a theory of sorts, and I've wished many times through the years that I'd never written them.



I still feel what these words try to portray, but I'm feeling it for a certain special someone now, and so much stronger than ever before! We are getting married in May (MAY 8- Me And You, Forever!) and though I feel like I should be a better man before I try to be her husband, I am so excited, though quite nervous, about my upcoming new life.
I will still post poems from this book in my rotation. They are what they are. Maybe someone can get something out of them. After all, Hallmark cards are written by someone else altogether and they're given to others as means of expressing what you feel.





Todays Poem is entitled If Only You Could Feel It. Here Goes:



If Only You Could Feel It


Sweetheart, I wish there was a way

That I could get you to see

The strength of my love for you in my heart

Beatin' away inside of me


Don't know how many times I've tried

To put these feelings into words

But there are no words in the English language

That wouldn't make it sound absurd


And even if you could capture that true feeling

And hold it in your own two hands

There's no way on earth, with just paper and pen

To get someone to truly understand


You'd have to draw from your deepest emotions

Utilize everything within your soul

Gather what you can from your spirit

And grab the very essense of what makes you whole


You must capture what you've lived from your yesterdays

Add the promises of all your tomorrows

Multiply the sweetest sound on earth a hundred-fold

And you still wouldn't be anywhere close


Can you find every ounce of your passion

Mix it with the innocence of a newborn child

Contain the breathtaking awe of a sunset

Steal the natural harmony of a wolf in the wild


A photograph ain't enough; a memory won't do it

No stretch of imagination could reach

When you measure the dimensions of the vast universe

It's like but a drop from the deep blue sea


Pick the most happiest day out of your entire life

Combine it with the sweet scent of a rose

Borrow the strength of the hatred between a man and his killer

And pour it into the mystery of the things God only knows


Summon the riches of a devout tribal tradition

Secure the courage behind a sacrifice

Yank the potency of a heartache out of a widowers chest

But you will only find that it still won't suffice


Get someone to give you the ecstacy

Of the two young lovers' first kiss

Sieze the miracle of immaculate conception

But something would still be amiss


Beg for the answer to a question never spoken

Search for the truth in a vehement lie

Bring me back the curiosity from a door never opened

And an ounce of the pride that won't let you cry


Hold all these things in your own sweet hands

Feel the overwhelming power in each one

If the love in my heart was equal to that

My love would have only just begun


My Sweet Princess, If only you could feel it

This is the love I've been trying to show

It's what I feel each time I say I Love You

And the closest I could get to what I wanted you to know.


Nelson Coblentz

12/02/95

545am


I know that when one person reads another person's words, they don't always mean the same thing to them, but this poem was my 'epic' for a while, might still be. Its like describing fire or explaining milk- how do you do it?


This poem was written before I started entering them in poetry contests and was limited to the number of lines they would accept. A lot of my earlier poems are longer. you'll see, as time goes on, most of them will be right around 20 lines, which is their limit, for some reason.

I hope you get out of it what I meant to put into it. I know it took a lot out of me.


Here is the entire contents of the 1995 book, in case you wanna follow along:




  1. There's enough of me (To love every bit of you)


  2. In honor of


  3. Tell Me, please


  4. Up In Smoke


  5. Lucky Me


  6. When It Comes To You


  7. That Special One


  8. Love And Understanding


  9. Of All The Things In this World


  10. Together (We Can Make It)


  11. Somebody To Love


  12. I Can


  13. Know


  14. Never


  15. I Can Still Love


  16. How Much Of A Beating (Can This Heart Of Mine Take)


  17. A Song Without A Tune


  18. What I'm Trying To Say


  19. Again And Again


  20. I'll Be The One


  21. Two People In The Same Ole Love


  22. Would A Girl Like You


  23. If She Doesn't Know Already


  24. A Fighting Chance


  25. I Saw Cinderella


  26. When Your Wild Days Are Through


  27. I Was Thinking Maybe


  28. All That I Need To Know


  29. I'm Not Just Looking


  30. I Hope You Know


  31. But There'll be Love


  32. If I Never Fall In Love Again


  33. Ring, Ring, Ring


  34. He Got What He Deserved


  35. With Just your Smile


  36. When I see Her Again


  37. The You Inside


  38. Take Me


  39. Hand In Hand


  40. Learning To Grow


  41. Keeps the World Spinning 'Round


  42. This Crazy World


  43. You've Got Another Thing Coming


  44. this One's For You


  45. Before you Answer


  46. Just As Soon As This Song Is Over


  47. Love Only Knows


  48. If It Ain't Too Late


  49. It's What You Do


  50. Heart, Soul, Body and Mind


  51. The Way It Will Be


  52. Love, O.B.O


  53. The Enemy Within


  54. An Angel In A Pair Of Blue Jeans


  55. Playin With Insanity


  56. Screaming


  57. A Different Side Of Me


  58. A Time


  59. If Only You Could Feel It


  60. You Can't Run Away


  61. Let It Rain


  62. Suddenly


  63. One, Two, Three


  64. I Had A Cancer


  65. Moving On To Another Heartache


  66. Ode To The Zodiac


  67. What I Heard She Said


  68. Cliffhanger


  69. Childhood Treasures


  70. Would You Let Me

And there you have it, folks! Thats my 1995 poetry book for you. I know, another long blog. i hope they don't get boring or tiresome to read through, but once I get through these introductions, it won't be AS bad. Just to warn you, though, 1996 was a busy year for me- that book has 140 poems in it! We'll get through it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment