Nelson's Happy place

Friday, March 5, 2010

1996 Introduction- Part I






Not a very good picture of it, but here is my 1996 poem book. It is entitled The Letter I Couldn't Send, of which I have a poem of the same name. Like I said, 1996 produced 140 poems, so I think I'll break up the introduction into two parts, and post 2 poems from it in this first go-round.



The first poem I'll share is the one of the same name, The Letter I Couldn't Send. It's basically about some of the things that we would like to say, should say, sometimes HAVE to say, but just can't. The good thing is that even the letters that you don't send can help you just by getting the stuff out of your head and off your mind. I used to think that maybe my poems were helping me deal with some things, but then I came to the conclusion that they weren't really helping me because I wasn't letting anyone read them. They may have helped me let off some steam, but only into a slightly larger area, which then filled up and I was pretty much right back where I started. But now that I'm onto this blogging thing with all my poems, maybe it'll all come back around and help me after all. So, without further ado any longer, here is the poem:





The Letter I Couldn't Send



I've been thinking about you for so long

About what wasn't, and what could've been

I thought I might send you a letter

So I got out my paper and pen



I wrote "Hello, how are you?"

"I guess I'm doing ok"

Then I wrote "with love always, Me"

Couldn't think of anymore that I could say



But I said "No, that just won't do it"

I need to write a little more than that

Once I walked into my lonely heart

There was no coming back



I poured out all my emotions

Told you what I've felt inside

I wrote to you the sweetest words

I've ever heard of in my life



I tried my best to put to words

The thoughts and feelings trapped within

I started at one side of my heart

And worked to the other end



I wrote you words I've never said

Words I probably never will

I told you how you made me feel

When you made my world stand still



I shared with you my secrets

My fantasies and plans

I asked you to take my life

Out of my shaking hands



I told you so much about me

There was nothing left to be said

For a moment I was thinking

That I may be in over my head



I shared with you the sunrise

The way it looks from my end

I wrote things would've made you smile

In the letter I couldn't send



I let you know the human side

That gets lost so easily

By the time you would've finished reading

You would've known me better than me



You would've read the promises

The things I'd do if you came back

You would've felt what I wrote when I wrote it

You would have felt my poor heart crack



You would have felt the magic

You would have seen the tears

You would have heard the music

And smelled my biggest fears



You would've known the heartache

And the emptiness that fills my heart

Perhaps you would have felt the pain

From when you tore my world apart



It was a first class letter

It would have made you remember when

Everything you've always wanted to hear

Was in the letter I couldn't send



The day you would have gotten my letter

Would have been the first of your new life

In my words you would have found the reason

The words that cut just like a knife



You would have known that it was the truth

For simple lies are easier to tell

A test that would have stood through time

The proof before you clear as a bell



You would've known by the look on the mailman's face

By the way he held it carefully by the end

That it wasn't just an ordinary letter

But that was the letter I couldn't send



Maybe it would have made a difference

Perhaps somewhere there was an ear that I could bend

But now it doesn't matter, for the words are trapped forever

Somewhere in the letter I couldn't send.



Nelson Coblentz

'96



Whew!! I told you they can get long sometimes!!


Now for the Table of contents- Here's the first half of them:




  1. The Letter I Couldn't Send


  2. Tears Of Religion


  3. A Ring Around Her Heart


  4. Cross-Section


  5. Your Town, U.S.A.


  6. It's The Love


  7. I Thought So Too


  8. We Don't Have to Call It Making Love


  9. Simpler Times


  10. Bite The Hand


  11. Tell Me Again


  12. Playing With Fire


  13. Too Much Time


  14. That Doesn't Mean I Won't


  15. The Night


  16. Through Evil Eyes


  17. (I Don't Want To Be) Just Fooling Myself


  18. Locked Away


  19. Do You Still Love Me?


  20. Try Me


  21. I've Never Been This Far Before


  22. Welfare


  23. I Wanna Be There


  24. Mortuary


  25. Love In The Fast Lane


  26. Making Angels


  27. Headlines


  28. Between The Lines


  29. Do Not Enter


  30. When Mountains Crumble


  31. Red, White, And Blue


  32. Stepping On Roses


  33. Excuse Me


  34. True Happiness


  35. Be My Lover


  36. What Does It Mean


  37. Standing Too Close


  38. In your Dreams


  39. A Little Closer


  40. Touch My Heart


  41. What Would You Say


  42. Don't Hide It


  43. At The Bottom, Begging


  44. The World In One Hand (And Love In The Other)


  45. Jumbo Shrimp


  46. Not What I Was Wanting


  47. All In Your Hands


  48. The Perfect Place


  49. Someone Like Me


  50. Volunteers


  51. Not Guilty


  52. A Story To Tell


  53. You Could Have Just Said So


  54. All The Kings Horses


  55. Optical Contusions


  56. A New Sun Rising


  57. The Man In The Mirror


  58. I Crossed The Line


  59. Hopefully


  60. Imagined Realities


  61. All I Can Say Is...


  62. In The Heart Of The Believer


  63. King Of My Kingdom


  64. Cry For Me


  65. The Broken Seal


  66. Blinded By The Light


  67. Tomorrow


  68. It Ain't Working


  69. The Other Side Of Forever


  70. Bitter Sweet

To Be Continued.......

By the way, I didn't offset the listing like that. It happened by itself when It posted and I don't exactly know how to fix it. So I'll leave it. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Ok, Folks! Thats the table of contents for the first half of the book! Tomorrow, or when I get back on here, I'll post the second half, and another poem from the second half as well.


As you may notice, or not, I think anyway, the poems are starting to get better as time goes on. Later, however, you might see them start to get a little less again, due to the fact that I was just getting used up and/ or was having to force the poems a little bit more than before. I know at one point I really made a conscious effort to write about different things, not just love, so I covered some different topics. I like some of those, and I'm looking forward to sharing them with you on down the road.

Thats the end of this blog. Until next time, this is it!

From Me to You,

Nelson Coblentz

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I would love to read one of those religious poems:) Can I post a poem of yours on my blog from time to time? Have you ever tried to get published? You have real talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Peggy!! I appreciate that! I don't really have a whole lot of religious poems, but it would be okay if you want to share some of these on your blog. As far as publishing, I do have a poem in a compilation, but I think it was only because I bought a copy. I haven't tried otherwise.

    ReplyDelete