Nelson's Happy place

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Me And My Poems

Ok! Peggy gave me the idea- I guess here goes! I have decided to share my poetry with you on Blogspot! I mean, its not like I'm trying to sell them elsewhere or anything. Nor do I have a lot of followers that will embarrass me by reading them. (I still don't like it very much when someone goes and reads one of my poems out loud while I'm right there. )

For those of you who don't know, I used to write poems. Lots of poems. I got started in 1991, in Mrs. Oxfords' English class at Dover High. She created this monster. I wrote pretty much until I started up my notebooks, in 2006, though I did slow down quite a bit before I eventually stopped. After that, it was pretty much journalling, and I lost my rhythm! (Pun intended, maybe)

For years I'd kept them all to myself, letting only a few people, if any at all, read my work. It's sad how easy it is for you to talk yourself into believing something sucks when really it may not. And if it does, so what? That's what low self-esteem can do for you. I'm not gonna let that happen on here. These poems may be mine, but a lot of these are reflections of who I used to was, not who I now! I will put them on here the way they were written, no matter how crude (or rude) they seem to be now. I'm in a stage of growth in my life, and I will use this to my advantage.
In sharing my poems, I plan on doing so in a way that will help me open up, share the stories behind them, if any, more of my thoughts in general, and just be more of a person, all the while getting better mileage out of my blog.

I don't know about having A Poem Of The Day- while I do have enough to do that for a good while ( I have 506 documented poems all together)- I don't want to promise that I will get on here EVERY SINGLE DAY with a different one. Maybe I'll have to get you looking forward to the next one sometimes. I do want to be somewhat regular with them, to help me and to share with you, but again, no promises.



The first poem I'm putting up here is from my first compilation- can't say publication, I never went there- titled The Beginning Of Insanity, my 1991 to 1994 poem book.


The Poem is entitled To My Dear Wife, and is dated only '94. I wasn't always as good at dating my work as I am now.





To: My Dear Wife



Honey, Please read this letter

And believe every single word

The only Being I love more than you

Is the One above, our Lord





The life we've lived together

The happy times we've had

We've stuck together through everything

The good times and the bad





I remember the kiss I gave you

When I said good-bye last night

I'm very grateful for that kiss

And the way you held me tight





Honey, I'm sorry about what happened

It all happened so suddenly

The things we had planned to do together

Well, I guess they weren't meant to be





The truck, it swerved to miss me

Believe me, I saw him try

But the truck skidded, my windshield shattered

Now, Darling, please don't cry





Please, Honey, do not blame him

It was surely an accident

When he came over to check on me

His concern was evident





When he tried to pull me from the car

He found he could not do so

And the doctors did the best they could

But that just wouldn't do





I'm sorry I had to do this

Darling, and leave you all alone here

But all the pain and agony

Is over now for me, Dear.





Please give my love to our dear children

Explain to them why I must go

I will love you all forever

That is something you need to know





Honey, I'm so sorry

I never meant to hurt you this way

But I'm afraid this is my last farewell...

Now, Darling, please don't cry!





I Love You,

Your Departed Husband

Nelson Coblentz
'94


I don't know if there's really a story behind this one, except maybe I was just thinking about the accident I'd had in January of '93. Of course, I didn't die, and there was no one else even involved, I just wrapped my 1981 Monte Carlo around a tree at Killens Pond, but it may have just gotten me thinking. I tend to do a lot of that. And I've never been married, so it wasn't to a real wife, either!

People that have read this one have said they liked it, though it may be a bit morbid. I hope you can get something out of it.



I originally had some crazy graphics on the cover, to make you think that I'd really gone insane, but I overhauled them through the years and decided to just go with the basic cover. This one here does not have a title poem, but some of my later books I have a poem inside with the same name. Kinda like a singer's album having the same name as one of the songs. I think you get it.






Here is the Table Of Contents in case you have a certain request later on, or so you can just follow along, make sure I don't miss any as we get on down the road.


1. The Destrustion Of Earth

2. America

3. The Bloody Soldier

4. Shed A Tear

5. The Bluebird

6. If Love Was A Flower

7. The Handclasp On The Doorknob

8. Home

9. Believe

10. Starting Over

11. If Only The Eyes Could See

12. Come Here, Baby

13. Rusty Wallace (The Man)

14. The Restless Riders

15. Wild Horses

16. What I'd Do

17. I Feel It Too

18. To: My Dear Wife

19. My Love

20. The Blue Ribbon

21. For Years

22. When You're Alone

23. If This Isn't Love

24. Out Of The Corner Of My Eye

25. Compromise

26. Just Friends

27. But Not Without You

28. I Need You

29. Where Are You?

30. Someone

31. Till It's Gone

32. Did You Think

33. Bedtime

34. Hang On, Folks!

35. Greatness

36. I'm My Own Man Now

37. When You're In Love

I apologize for the lengthy blog, but thank you for making it to this point with me. They won't all be this long after I introduce all the books, depending on the length of the poem- and the story. If you'd like to see some of my stuff somewhere else, you could always go to www.poetry.com and look me up!! I have a couple on there as well.

I hope you all enjoy it and look forward to my next entry- whenever that may be.

Until that time, Good Night all, Good Night World.

From Me to You,

Nelson Coblentz

1 comment:

  1. I think you are amazing and very talented. I, for one, am looking forward to reading your poetry. I loved the one you put on here today. It is amazing. SO deep and (could be) so real if need be. I loved it. Keep them coming, I will definitly read them all.

    ReplyDelete